Friends! I made the switch to almond milk a couple of years ago when I embraced a more plant based diet. I have recently learned that store bought almond milk may contain large amounts of synthetic preservatives that may not be that healthy for you. The answer? Why not make your own almond milk? I want you to. And I'm going to show you how!
The freshest, most tasty milk you'll ever drink...
1 cup raw almonds, soaked in water
3.5 cups filtered water
2-4 pitted medjool dates, to taste (use 1 to 2 large)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
small pinch of fine grain sea salt, to enhance the flavor
1. Place almonds in a bowl and refrigerate overnight. This will soften the almonds and allow them to blend more easily.
2. Rinse and drain the almonds and place into a blender along with filtered water, pitted dates, and vanilla.
3. Blend on highest speed for 1 minute
4. Place a nut milk bag over a bowl and pour blender contents into the bag. Squeeze the bag until all the milk is released.
5. Rinse out the blender and pour the milk back in. Add cinnamon and salt and blend on low to combine.
6. Pour into an air tight container and refrigerate for 3-5 days. Enjoy over cereal, in baked items, or in any way you would use regular milk!
Instead of throwing out the almond pulp once the milk is extracted, you can dry on a baking pan in a low oven and use in place of flower in baked goods!
nut milk bag... don't even bother with cheese cloth